Wednesday 9 May 2012

Basic Shoes Picking 101



When I posted a photo of myself stalking a recently launched fashion collection, a number of my friends prodded me about my handsome new shoes, instead of the clothing line that I was reviewing! The continuous chain of interest on my shoes became the spark of inspiration that motivated me to write about footwear.  I may not be an expert on shoes, but here are some of my takes on picking the right shoes for you.
1.  Walkability
Honestly, I made the word up. It defines the ability of a person to walk in a pair of shoes. It may sound ridiculous like asking you to breathe to keep yourself alive, but, often, this is very much neglected.
 A pair of shoes should never bite, hurt, scratch, or kill your feet. I love shoes that snug nicely around your feet.
Size is everything. We all presume we know what that means, but most of us are actually oblivious. I’d always allow at least a thumb width space in front of my toes for them to twitch, bend and breathe.
Padded insoles, heels and cushioned collar will also provide your precious feet comfort. Remember, you'll be walking in them for a long time, and a pair of painful feet will create a grumpy soul.
Comfort is everything, so make sure to try them on by walking in them before making the purchase.
 2. Flexibility
I am not asking your shoes to perform yoga or a circus act. A pair of good shoes should at least be flexible enough for your feet to bend or turn when you walk.
Additional bonus points will be given to shoes that don’t bend much at the vamp/arc because this will create those ugly crease lines you usually see in worn-out shoes.




Leather Blucher from D&C - classy but less dressy, making it perfect for both formal and casual occassion
  
3.   Light as Feather
That would be ideal. Given the amount of time you'll be walking in those shoes, you don't need two bricks attached on your poor feet.
 Certain shoes like travelling boots may be heavier, to provide proper protection. However, under usual circumstances, try not to get heavy shoes. As Lady Gaga once sang, "Don't be a drag...” heavy shoes will only drag you down. Keep them light.



 
Sport sneakers from Nike - very light and nicely padded to absorb sweat and provide cushion when walking
 
4.   Durability
      Enough said. If it is made for men, it should be made tough. A good pair of walking shoes can last at least a year, in mint condition, given a normal usage of the shoes.
High quality leather and non-woven materials are pretty long-lasting. Depending on the material of the lateral or vamp of the shoes, I believe some shoe materials like petrochemical and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) are durable to scratches and stains. Meanwhile, leather is less resistant towards scratches and suede can actually be easily stained over time.

Note: Some materials tend to change colour when exposed to water. I once bought a pair of hazel brown leather blucher that I was proud of, until they turned into hideous water stained creatures, when exposed to drops of water. Of course, they returned to handsome looking shoes once they’ve dried, but they shall never again see water!
. 
5.   5. Fashion

As a guy, I love to keep my shoes simple. Personally, I’d pick a basic colour that would fit most, if not all, my outfits. The spectrum of choice here is vast as the combination of material, colour and design of the shoes should be taken into consideration for the style you wish to convey.
As a baseline standard, I think every man should have at least a pair of good leather shoes, walking sneakers, casual sandals or slippers and athletic shoes.
There you have it! Five fundamental 101 guidelines to picking a pair of shoes that will suit you! Even though the pointers that I give may be a little scarce, I hope you will find this useful and all the best in hunting for the shoes, best suited for you!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment